Household Hazardous Waste Collection

Published May 8th, 2023 by Karen Sweeting


Monroe County Department of Environmental Services and the Towns of Clarkson, Hamlin, Ogden, Parma and Sweden and the Villages of Brockport, Hilton and Spencerport will partner to hold an appointment-only Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) collection at the

Town of Ogden DPW, 2432 South Union Street, Spencerport, NY 14559

Saturday, June 10, 2023 from 7:45 a.m. to 12 noon.

Most HHW (paint, flammables, and other chemicals from home-use) is safe when used and stored properly. When they become unwanted and are disposed of improperly, these household wastes can become environmental hazards.

This service is open to all Monroe County residents. To ensure safety and reduce waiting times, appointments are required at all HHW collections throughout the year. Appointments for this HHW collection can be made until June 9th.


To schedule an appointment, call the SWEDEN TOWN CLERK’S OFFICE:

(585) 637-2144

or go on-line to to schedule your appointment. This collection is open to all Monroe County residents. Waste from businesses will not be accepted.

Up to 30 gallons of the following materials will be accepted per appointment at no charge:

  • Oil-based & Latex Paint (for 1/3 gallon or less of latex paint: discard lid, add kitty litter, mix, let dry and place can in trash)
  • Wood Stain & Preservatives
  • Automotive Fluids (antifreeze; brake, power steering and transmission fluids)
  • Pesticides, Herbicides & Fertilizers
  • Flammable Products (gasoline, kerosene, thinners, strippers, solvents)
  • Household Cleaners (liquid soaps & waxes, drain cleaners, etc.)
  • Driveway Sealer
  • Pool & Photo Chemicals
  • Rechargeable (Li-Ion, Ni-Cad) & Button Batteries
  • Mercury (thermometers, thermostats)
  • Syringes/Sharps (safely packaged)

Do Not Bring:

  • used motor oil & vehicle batteries (contact service station or retailer)
  • Pharmaceutical Wastes & Propane tanks (ecopark/permanent HHW facility only)
  • Paint cans with dried paint (if it rattles when shaken – remove lid and place in trash)
  • empty containers (trash or recycle)
  • alkaline batteries (trash)
  • glazing/spackle & joint compounds (trash)


If residents are unable to take advantage of this one-day HHW collection, the County offers other collections throughout the year. For more information, or for business waste disposal options, go on-line at